Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thanks Captain!

Thanks to David Booker for inviting me into the KUVO studio last Sunday night as his special on-air guest during the avant-garde jazz show. I was caught off-guard by his enthusiastic praise of my percussion playing. He is quite fond of a duo CD we made together years ago (8 years?), sort of a jungle blues recording: traditional blues guitar and vocals with afro-latin percussion! Booker said he was quite sorry to have not paid me any royalties on it - he hasn't made any yet himself!! So we laughed and we cried, but most importantly we were there together again chatting most pleasantly in the studio after a rift had kept us apart for the last 3 years. I began playing with Booker in 1992 and spent a lot of time on the road, in nightclubs, and in the studios with him over the years. I learned many things about the blues and about the music biz from David. We had many ridiculously funny times together that are worthy of a short film, and I was fired from his band at least 3 times. The standing joke among all of his sidemen is that you are never really a member of his band until you've been fired 3 times! I remember one time when he gave me "your third pink slip!!" in between songs on stage in the middle of Wyoming. He hired me back the next afternoon in the van ride to Idaho... All who know him call him Captain. (To his face anyway!) Thanks Captain!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home