Tuesday, October 09, 2007

My Friend Frank On Tour w/ John Scofield

Frank Vacin and I went to high school together and spent many hours listening to jazz records either in his dad's basement (his dad only liked old big band jazz) or in my dad's living room (my dad dug it all but was never home!). Later, when Frank moved in with me and my dad so he could practice all day, he and I joined our first big band (Sam Bivens) where we got our reading together. While practicing during the day, neighbors would leave notes on our door telling "the guy trying to play sax" to "give it up!" Frank was just working on harmonic growling, or shouting through the sax. Five or so years later when coming back to visit Denver from NY, where he had moved, (he had sold me his 1979 Chevy Impala station wagon for the price of a greyhound ticket to NY -about $91 back then- so he could get out of Denver), he sat in with a blues band I was gigin with. The leader laughed at his playing and said, "He might be able to play in another 10 years!!" Frank put up with a lot of negative crap from others over many years...

Well Frank, YOU DID IT!!! Congrats, and thanks for all those home made chorizo burritos at my dad's house!

Frank is currently on tour of the US with John Scofield through October. They will go to Europe in Nov for 28 shows adding bassist Steve Swallow to their already impressve line-up: the Grenadier brothers (Larry & Phil) and drummer Bill Stewart.

Check out Frank's website: http://www.frankvacin.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home