Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A Radio Interview - Tips

On-Air Radio Interview - KGNU 88.5 FM with host Bill Nyreges

[Thanks to modern technology you don't have to blast off into space and try to catch this broadcast as it speeds past Pluto, just link to it!]

http://www.benmakinen.com/music-42.html


Yesterday morning (Oct 9 2006) on-air host Bill Nyerges of FM community radio station KGNU 88.5 interviewed me on his Morning Sound Alternative show. The interview came together quickly through the use of the internet, and with a bit of luck and preparation. Bill had heard a few cds of mine earlier and said he liked them all, but each one fit different programs. We exchanged a flurry of emails that concluded with, "Come by the studio, bring the CDs for the MD to check out, and I may be able to get you on the air."

What follows contains some lessons on preparing for a radio interview.

As I drove to the studio in Boulder (and while getting lost despite having MapQuested it) I had his program tuned in. I was listening to the overall vibe of his broadcast so that if asked I could select a track from my material to best fit into his playlist.

I began running through my mind the replies to possible questions: My influences, current projects, how I got started. (I failed to anticipate, "What are some great stories from the road?")

When I pulled into the parking lot I got all my materials together (CDs, press releases, pens, promo photos, and business cards) and quickly re-read my press release on one of my older CDs to refresh my self on the back-story. I had my laptop with me and pulled up my CD's track listings and song lengths.

Evan, the engineer, took me into the studio, and I shook hands with the host. Bill suddenly turned to Evan, "We just lost the playlist." The station's playlist computer just went off line. Bill turns to me, "You got something short to play?"

I hand him my Lost Lullaby CD. As he loads it into the CD player I crack open my laptop and scan the time lengths.

"Track five, two minutes, thirteen." He punches in track 5, and the tune, Right On Track, starts just as the last song ends.

Bill lets out a breath, "Whew... Oh, that's one of my favorites. What else ya got on there?"

"Short, medium, or long?"

"Medium."

"Track number one, three fourteen."

I had bought them 5 and a half minutes of time for the engineer to get the computer back on line. I also had 2 of my songs played and got the on-air interview!

I was prepared when luck struck. The rest of the interview went smoothly - I scrambled to think of a good story from the road, and thought of some better ones when the mics were off, but when I was asked what my upcoming dates were I simply glanced down at my laptop and rattled off 4 or 5 upcoming shows with ease.

Be prepared, keep your cool, speak slowly, listen carefully, entertain your audience, and thank your host, on air, when the interview concludes.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger Jean Vengua said...

Nice job, Ben!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home